Sunday, December 12, 2010

There's a First Time for Everything...

Last night, on my way down to Idaho Falls for my symphony concert, it was snowing. Things were going pretty well, until I started fishtailing. Even though I have been told many times what you are supposed to do in that situation, I was still scared out of my mind! I think I may have tried to turn into the slide, but probably way too hard, and the fishtailing continued. Once the car actually started to spin, I decided to quit trying to adjust, and just wait for it to stop. I had been driving in the right lane, but ended up with my back bumper up against the cement median, facing almost backwards. FREAKY! Fortunately, there was an officer there within less than a minute, and he assessed the car, told me it was drivable, and had me pull to the other side of the freeway to fill out a report. He told me there were several more down the road, and that I actually did pretty well- hardly any damage. I ended up getting to the concert pretty much right when it was supposed to start, so I didn't have time to even look at the car. Once I did though, relief. Only a relatively small tear in the bumper, and some scratched paint. I drove MUCH slower on the way home. I wasn't speeding when it happened, but I probably should have been more cautious. Here's to new experiences!

5 comments:

Linda said...

My heart started pounding when I got to the spinning part. That is so scary! And I laughed that you didn't even see the damage until much later. We are so glad you fared will, and that you are escaping the cold, icy roads for a while!!!

Pristinely Sweet said...

Im glad you made it home safely! Be safe and have fun in AZ!!

Valora Hintze said...

I am so glad that you are okay. DRIVE SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marilla Olson said...

Yikes! Glad you're OK!! Yes, SLOW is the key...then even if you do slide, you're chances of preventing major damage are better. Hopefully, it's the LAST time for that.:)

Megann said...

Oh my heck! You could have stopped at my house. I had no idea you were living so close....and that you're expecting. Congrats! We should get together sometime.