Friday, March 27, 2009

More Stuff in Philly


Obviously, it was so great to see my parents and all the stuff they talk about doing for their mission. They are always talking about Bobby, their "boss" who is an employee of the city of Philadelphia in the archives. He's very good at what he does, but they get frustrated with him sometimes because he changes the rules on them suddenly and often interferes with their job. (Bobby has Asberger's Syndrome) Anyway, so we got to meet him and he showed us around the archives, and then my parents let Richard and I image (take a picture) a document from 1817! I think they have the coolest job. It's so important for both Philadelphia and for the Church/Family History. It was also neat to go with them to their new member class on Tuesday night. There are a lot of newbies to the Church in their ward, and it was my mom's turn to teach the lesson while we were there. I was so impressed with her incredible preparation and understanding of the scriptures. She was very thorough, and even though her lesson may have gone over a lot of their heads, it was very interesting and thought provoking. Good job, mom! Go Mom and Dad! I wish we had taken a picture of the room we stayed in at their apartment. Twin beds on wheels! Plus, they have wood floors, so every time we turned over in bed, it was like roller skating around the room! We never knew where we would be when we woke up! OK, maybe not that drastic, but it was pretty hilarious. Eventually we pushed them together and squeezed them between the wall and a dresser, which seemed to hold them in place pretty well.
While were there, BYU happened to come to play in the NCAA tournament. We don't need to talk about the outcome of that game (ahem) but we were excited to have my brother, Tyler come to Philly while we were there. What are the odds? He plays trumpet in the pep band at the Y, so he tagged along (on a private plane, I might add). Random...
There are so many cool things to see and learn about in Philly! I loved Elphreth's Alley- the oldest continually inhabited street in the U.S. A lot of people live in row houses (all connected in a row), and that's what these are, only they are very well maintained compared to much of the rest of the city.

Makes my little speck of land seem roomy! They are cute, though.

Another highlight for me was the ComCast Center. I don't even know what they do there, but the main lobby is very cool! The entire wall is made up of flat screen t.v.'s that they are always showing cool stuff on. Example: All the lighter rectangles make up this giant TV! It showed all the pieces of the clock coming on separately until all the gears were there. Kinda neat.

Richard and I at the Liberty Bell (like on National Treasure!!!!)

2 comments:

Dan and Louise said...

Amber! I just found your blog from Shilo's. Will you email me so I can invite you to ours? ldlesueur@hotmail.com (I'm giving you our junk email address cuz I don't like to put our good one on the internet - I know - PARANOID!)

I loved the Philly pictures. And CONGRATULATIONS on your baby news! We like boys around here!

Kristalyn said...

I would definitely live in one of those little places. Darling! As long as it's in the middle of the city so I could walk or ride a bike most anywhere I wanted to go!!!