Monday, July 11, 2011

What I've Been Up To

I know, I know, the baby is darling. But, in this case, let me draw your attention to his shirt, which I "made" by buying a $2 onesie at Wal-Mart, and then ironing on this tie-shape, made from an awesome sheet that I bought at a yard sale. Then I zig-zagged around it (which I now need to do again, as it's not holding as well as I need it to)


This hooded towel/poncho- which I saw a similar one on a blog, and decided it was a great idea. I like the hoods that I make better, so I did modify it from what I saw online. I made it for a relief society service-swap, (which was way cool- like a white elephant gift exchange), and it was stolen 3 times, until it could be stolen no more. Made me happy, and now I want to make more!
Brady modeling (he wouldn't wear the hood) Please excuse the messy floor behind him...

This is what I did with a plain green cami, and a plain, shapeless, white, long-sleeved shirt. I bought a matching green shirt from DI, and cut it into strips, which I ruffled. I pinned them kinda haphazardly onto the shirt, and then started sewing. Once it was done, I tried it on, and it looked...wierd. Darn. Rather than hanging it up never to be worn, I started looking online for a re-fashioned cardigan. I found one! So, I took my old white shirt and cut it right up the middle front. I put it on wrong-side-out and pinned up the sides so it would look a little fitted. Then I sewed some white ruffled strips onto the sides of the opening. Lastly, I cut off the sleeves and did a big wide hem. I like it! Varies the wardrobe a little!



I have also had some fails, but who needs to post about those? I am into refashioning right now, as I always want to be creating new things, but as a student family, money is not abundant! Thank goodness for the internet and tutorials- I am not creative enough all on my own!

7 comments:

DaNelle said...

Hey little miss crafty! I love it! Good job, I am scared of my sewing machine.

Valora Hintze said...

So cute Amber! I can't wait to unpack my sewing machine!

Amber said...

DaNelle, you may be scared of your sewing machine, but you are incredible enough at so many other things, that I don't think you need to worry! Every time you post on your blog, I am amazed at your sweet skills!

Em said...

Cute stuff! Please move back and teach Marinne again! She loves you, and we've had a hard time finding anyone as good as you!!!

M said...

Super cute! I wish I was that talented to do that.

Heather Weir said...

I've been wanting to do a shirt like your's but am worried about it making my front look that much more round. It looks good on you. I might have to try it. man we need to live by each other and exchange ideas. and be able to craft together. miss you!

barbafamily said...

Wow, you are SO talented! I LOVE all of these items! Way to go!

Angela