Sunday, March 14, 2010

We have a garden!!!!!

So, back in November, Richard and I decided we wanted to plant a garden. Neither of us have ever really gardened before. Nevertheless, we set out to buy some seeds, according to our planting guide given to us by a neighbor. We spent the better part of a day planting swiss chard (eww), cabbage, lettuce, brussell sprouts, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, green onions, carrots, beets, and radishes. Of all of these, we have eaten chard (again...eww), lettuce, carrots, and radishes. The spinach is eatable, but we haven't used it yet, the beets are still growing (we hope), and the carrots are now all thinned out, so they are still growing, too. The ones we picked to thin them out are delicious but small! We have plowed the brussell sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, green onions, and cabbage under. Sad, I know. But overall, a pretty good harvest for first timers, I think! I will post pictures another time. For a while there, I was dreaming about pulling weeds because that's what I would do after work or on Saturdays. All worth it in the end! So successful, in fact, that we are going to try again in a couple weeks with new seeds!

2 comments:

DaNelle said...

Yay! Now you can come teach me how to plant a garden. We need to hang out, I really want to see that chubby baby again!

Morgan said...

Well just so you know, the spinich (at least I think that's what you gave us) was amazing! As well as the chard :)